In other words: Convention over configuration ;-)

I just think it's important to pick sensible defaults and to be able to turn
it off, for example using a context-param.

For example, I think the mapping *.xhtml should also be default, but a
developer must be able to turn *.xhtml off, since it's a widely used
extension also outside of JSF...

Regards,
Jan-Kees