On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Ali Ok <al...@aliok.com.tr> wrote:
> Hi,
> As you know, I will apply GSOC for "Myfaces HTML5 renderkit" project.
> Tomorrow, I think it will be announced that ASF is accepted as a GSOC
> organization (I have no doubt:) ).

actually, same here!

> So, I should speed up preparing my
> proposal and want to ask some questions. Thanks in advance and I really
> appreciate your help.
>
> I see that some ideas are written at
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12314021
> Should I add HTML5 renderkit project there? Are these only project ideas
> offered by possible mentors? If so, my mentor (or I) might want to write
> HTML5 renderkit there.
>
> Questions below are related to each other, so you may want to answer them
> step-by-step in time.
>
> Citation from this wiki:
>>
>> ASF expects "a list of deliverables, quantifiable results for the Apache
>> community, a detailed description / design document, an approach, an
>> approximate schedule".
>
> 1. What should I write about deliverables? Should I write complete list of
> JSF components? Other than that?

I don't think a list of components is correct. I'd more say that you
deliver a set
of components that integrate HTML5 (and standard browser APIs) with servers-side
rendering technology "JavaServer Faces(tm)". Maybe you also say that you create
a kinda (base) framework, so that if you don't catch all HTML5 stuff, it is easy
to continue from your work (to leverage your started work).

Just a thought.

> 2. Approach? What will be my approach? Considering this mail (thanks to
> Leonardo and Jakob), are these good?:
>       A new component set with target HTML5 and JSF 2.
>       Write all possible components, even if duplicates some existing
> components.(ie hx:inputText, but not hx:form since <form> HTML element is
> not changed with HTML5)
>       Use myfaces builder plugin
>       Any other stuff?

I'd not say duplicated; Try to "sell" it.
For instance <input type:text...> has some "build-in" validation
rules, in HTML5 right? (at least as far as I remember and older WHAT doc).
So say it like leveraging the new posibility to provide them as JSF components.
You could enhance the maven-plugin, if needed. Not sure if that has an impact
on "needs to be created during summer of code".

> 3. Schedule? Ok, this is related to deliverables and will be answered after
> question #1. But, there will be midterm evaluations in mid-July. So, IMHO,
> a milestone would be fine at that time. But what can be the goals and the
> content of milestone?

-design pages, prototypes, strategies etc ?

> 4. Where should I put my proposal? Is
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEVxSITE/GSoC good? You can
> answer this after announcement of acceptance status of ASF.

let's put it to the myfaces wiki first. We can quickly (after
polishing things) move
it to the "right" area.

-Matthias

--