Ben,

There exists 2 version because the handling of Bean Validation annotations
is completely different then the 'standard' ones (you are using JPA
annotations but there exists also ExtVal annotations like @Required that do
more or less the same as the Bean Validation annotations)

The issue that you have now is that the Required Label add-on (BV version)
is not recognizing the NON Bean validation annotations.

I'll have a look now that I know more of the context.

Did you add only the bean-validation module to the project or also
property-validation module ?

But commenting out the super.initComponent as you proposed will result in
not recognizing the Bean validation annoations anymore.

Rudy.