Hi Jeff,

My responses are inline.

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 02:11:46AM +0000, Jeff Belz wrote:
> All:
>

> I'm using a BroadCom(Cypress)43438 Bluetooth chip that receives a 4 wire HCI.
>  I got one response that said I just have to change the  syscfg setting in my
> target to
>

>     BLE_HCI_TRANSPORT_NIMBLE_BUILTIN: 0
>     BLE_HCI_TRANSPORT_UART: 1
>
>   1.  I can't find any documentation to what these lines do?

The documentation for syscfg settings is in the packages themselves.
Both of the above settings are defined by the
@apache-mynewt-nimble/nimble/transport package.  You can see the full
list of settings in a project, along with their descriptions, with this
command:

    newt target config show <target-name>

However, I don't think you will see either of these settings if you
execute this command.  From the dependency list you quoted, it looks
like you are using an older version of Mynewt which does not support
these two settings.  I believe you are using Mynewt 1.3.0; you will want
to upgrade to 1.4.0, released about one week ago.  There was a long
delay between the releases of 1.3.0 and 1.4.0, and I mistakenly forgot
that 1.4.0 was not yet released when I wrote my original email.

The latest version introduces some fairly major changes, so I suggest
you upgrade as follows:

1. Download Newt 1.4.0 as described here:
http://mynewt.apache.org/develop/get_started/native_install/index.html

2. Upgrade the Mynewt repos to 1.4.0 by running:

    newt upgrade

inside your project directory.

>   2.  How can I make sure it's configuring the right UART?

There is a syscfg setting defined by
@apache-mynewt-nimble/nimble/transport/uart called `BLE_HCI_UART_PORT`.
By default, this is defined to be 0.  You can change its value if you
need to use a different UART.

>   3.  Do I change the target syscfg or the one in the app folder?

I recommend changing the target's syscfg.  The target configuration
overrides the app configuration, and it is best not to change a foreign
repo except when necessary.  The syscfg system is described in more
detail here:
http://mynewt.apache.org/develop/os/modules/sysinitconfig/sysinitconfig.html

>   4.  Do I really need the bootloader? If so, is there documentation to why,
> I will eventually need to modify this.

The boot loader is not strictly required, but much of the Mynewt
infrastructure assumes it is present.  When you are getting Mynewt up
and running for the first time, I recommend you use the boot loader so
that you can follow the documentation more closely.

Chris