I'm doing some initial development using only the simulator (for convenience sake), and was testing out 'newtmgr fs' support to quickly get data to and from the simulator.

My sim target is setup to use NFFS using mostly default values:

        # NFFS filesystem
        FS_CLI: 1             # Include shell FS commands
        CONFIG_NFFS: 1        # Initialize and configure NFFS into the
   system
        NFFS_DETECT_FAIL: 2   # Format a new NFFS file system on
   failure to detect

Everything works fine from shell when I start the .elf file and create an NFFS file in code, and I can see the file and contents via cat:

   ls /cfg
   604693       5 /cfg/id.txt
   604693 1 files
   604900 compat> cat /cfg/id.txt
   5678

But when I try to do anything with 'newtmgr fs' (up or down) I always get *error 5*, which I assume corresponds to https://github.com/apache/mynewt-core/blob/master/fs/fs/include/fs/fs.h#L72:

   $ newtmgr -c serialsim fs download /cfg/id.txt id.txt
   Error: 5

The newtmgr connection is fine and of course the app is running:

   $ newtmgr conn show
   Connection profiles:
      serialsim: type=serial, connstring='/dev/ttys002'

And here is a proof that newtmgr is behaving properly and is properly configured:

   $ newtmgr -c serialsim stat nffs_stats
   stat group: nffs_stats
             0 nffs_gccnt
             5 nffs_hashcnt_ins
             0 nffs_hashcnt_rm
            52 nffs_iocnt_read
            13 nffs_iocnt_write
             0 nffs_object_count
             1 nffs_readcnt_block
             0 nffs_readcnt_copy
             0 nffs_readcnt_crc
             1 nffs_readcnt_data
             2 nffs_readcnt_detect
             6 nffs_readcnt_filename
             0 nffs_readcnt_format
             0 nffs_readcnt_gccollate
            22 nffs_readcnt_inode
            21 nffs_readcnt_inodeent
             0 nffs_readcnt_object
             0 nffs_readcnt_rename
             1 nffs_readcnt_update

Is it normal that the fs support doesn't work in the simulator? Perhaps the commands only work with FatFS, although I'd prefer to use the smaller NFFS for now.

K.