You can execute stuff within gdb when it hits a breakpoint.

function hook-stop gets called when you stop in debugger.
hook-run and hook-continue execute if you ‘run’ or ‘continue’ from
debugger, respectively.

define hook-stop
handle SIGALRM nopass
end

define hook-run
handle SIGALRM pass
end

define hook-continue
handle SIGALRM pass
end

If you load this this script in the debug script, these will happen
automagically for your BSP. No code changes necessary then,
or conditionally compiled code.