Hello,

LOG_VERSION 2 has been around for quite some time but is mostly just a
string based log. LOG_VERSION 3 supports string based logs as well as
others. LOG_VERSION 2 does not play well with the MCUmgr mobile library as
well.

I would like to suggest getting rid of LOG_VERSION 2 which would allow us
to make the code a bit simpler and not worrying about backwards
compatibility.

This discussion was mainly triggered by a PR
https://github.com/apache/mynewt-core/pull/2087 by Jerzy for adding back
string based reboot log just to make it work with LOG_VERSION 2.

LOG_VERSION 2 also doesn't play well with the MCUmgr mobile library.

I suggest we deprecate LOG_VERSION 2 and make the default 3 going forward.

I would like to hear thoughts from the community about the same.

--

Regards,
Vipul Rahane