On Sat, Jul 02, 2016 at 10:18:03AM -0700, Simon Ratner wrote:
> Correct, the return value is 4, and the out param remains unchanged.
>
> I am testing on nrf51; have tried calling it both directly from the
> EVENT_CONNECT callback, as well as some time later, just in case it was
> state-related. For the record, I am fairly certain it used to work
> not-too-long ago, so perhaps this is a recent breakage?

Bummer.  I will check it out.  Thanks for the heads up.

> In the descriptor is perfectly fine.

After thinking about it some more, I think it might be best to have a
dedicated function for querying the RSSI rather than putting it in the
connection descriptor.  The operation requires communication with the
controller, and I think there is some value in isolating
host-controller-communication when possible.

> For my own edification, is there a heartbeat of some sort while the
> connection is open, or is the value just representative of the last
> packet seen? Or a one-off value at time of establishment?

(Will, please chime in if I am talking nonsense)

It is the RSSI of the most recently received data packet.  If the peer
isn't sending any data, then the RSSI value won't get updated.