Hi David,

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 06:03:22PM -0400, David G. Simmons wrote:
> There must be more to it than this ...
>
> # Package: apps/bletiny
>
> syscfg.vals:
>     SHELL_TASK: 1
>     STATS_NAMES: 1
>
> I can confirm that changing SHELL_TASK to 0 does indeed disable the
> shell, but STATS_NAME does not seem to enable stats.

That syscfg.yml file looks good to me.  However, I think you may need to
enable some additional settings.  The STATS_NAMES setting causes name
strings to be included in the build, but the stats won't necessarily be
accessible.

A good way to see the available settings is to use the "newt target
configure <target-name>" command.  When I use this command on a target
of mine, I see the following settings defined by the sys/stats package:

    [ccollins@pseudoephedrine:~/repos/mynewt/core]$ newt target config
bleprph-nrf52dk
        # [...]

        * PACKAGE: sys/stats
          * Setting: STATS_CLI
            * Value: 0
          * Setting: STATS_NAMES
statistic.
            * Value: 0
          * Setting: STATS_NEWTMGR
            * Value: 0

(Before someone calls me out, yes, the descriptions were all "TBD" until
about five seconds ago! :)

I think you probably want one or both of STATS_CLI / STATS_NEWTMGR.

Sorry for the confusion.  The default behavior of some packages has
changed, and we haven't done a very good job of explaining it on the dev
list.