No need to apologize; but even the kick in the right direction should not
address your issue. I just built a test program (bletest) which does
advertising and it is advertising fine on the nrf51. If you cannot share your
target, what app are you building?

Assuming you have statistics enabled you can take a look at the phy stats and
LL stats. You can use the console to display them (if you are building with
that) or you can halt in the debugger and look at the following variables:

p ble_phy_stats
p ble_ll_stats

If they are hard to interpret, paste them and send them to us and we will
decipher.

PS: I will say this though (just my opinion): the newt tool and build and
package management system simply blows away a makefile any day of the week, and
twice on Sunday!