It seems like the best/quickest solution is to not erase the empty area.
That way we dont have to figure out how and when to renegotiate the
connection and we also get an erase command for 'free' as the first upload
will fail but fail having successfully erased the sector. We need to do
several connections and reconnects anyway with split loader topology so
*shrug*.

Looks like this was planned anyway as theres what looks like a todo there
"XXX only erase if needed."

I can do the PR, but ideally someone familiar with imgmgr or flash could
comment on some status I can check to know if we need to erase or not.