HI Roddy,

On 2010-06-10, at 09:03 , Roderick Young wrote:

> Louis
>
> Maaori translation
>
> Are the Atheist prepared for the theist to have a try at translation?

God willing :-) (Which is to say, Let those who can help each other and build a
commons for all.)

> But, on a less serious note, no need to be astonished, Louis, you will find
> Google and before them Microsoft have worked up Maori Translations (see goole
> language options). I have worked a very small part on advising and promoting
> resectively on both projects. One took 6 years and the other two years.

Super; but I am even more keenly interested in seeing how
aboriginal/authocthonous work sustained by exigent internal or external
pressure can map to other places, eg, Canada, North and South America, or
Brazil (recent site of huge event re Global Climate Change and aboriginal
peoples of the world).  What is the requisite element? What can we, what can I
do to initiate, sustain? Corporate money is not the answer. Local solutions
are. But they can be further sustained by international co-ordination, and
organisations like OOo are instrumental, I should think.

> The work on logistics has been talked out around open office and I have
> called a few meetings and set some agendas for these meetings.

Great. We also have the Irish Gaelic instance to think of, as well as the
Extremadura one...

> I see the dialects of the same language always being the sticking point and
> would suggest 5 Maori translation for tribal groups (Nga Puhi, Waikato,
> Tuhoe, Kaitahu and one other)

Hm. Interesting. We had similar issues of competing dialects with Norwegian,
when we first started it. (I had *no* idea that NO was so complicated. But this
is the nature of language and why its wealth is also its confounding element
for so many. Language is if not culture nevertheless a tab by which culture is
romanced.)

> Also the international nomencluture for MI may need to be changed to
> represent the five! (extremely big task that the world Oo society my have to
> uncork for the Maori before the wine can pour and the Haka (dance with
> actions and song) can begin.

We can work around things like this. For instance, in Norwegian we use simply
NO for the project. But I think that within the group itself, there are
gradations. In Spanish, we use simply ES but of course there are many dialects
of Spanish, and the the Argentine flavour, for instance, differs quite markedly
from the Mexican and that from Castellano, and so on. But they are sited
happily enough under ES.

> An international welcome to the project is needed from a united community of
> Oo member nations.

That can be arranged, of course, but first we need to see the code :-). This is
a work programme, not a marketing or political effort.

> This stage work would trigger governmental interest as well as NGO interest
> in why it was not done.

Perhaps.

> Brighter minds than I, more capable minds than I and more competent minds
> than I can then come on board to have it completed.
>
> New Zealand was first to give women the vote, have a citizen first to clime
> Mt Everest, first to split the Atom with Rutherford and so a first lurks in
> this Oo somewhere.

> :-)

Ciao
Louis