Von: Neil C Smith
Gesendet: Montag, 15. Juli 2019 12:50
An: dev
Cc: Apache NetBeans
Betreff: Re: website build system: moving to node/npm?

On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 at 11:07, Geertjan Wielenga <geert...@apache.org> wrote:

> If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
>
> And do we expect lots of people to work on the site just because we switch
> from Gradle to Gulp? Do we need lots of people working on the site,
> especially since everything's working fine the way it is?

Switching to an equally bespoke and arcane build system in Gulp, no.
Moving to a popular static generator ( https://www.staticgen.com/ )
and using it in a somewhat standard fashion (which we're not with
JBake as I recall) might be a good move to reduce technical debt.

If we did stay JVM, then Orchid might be worth looking into, as it
claims both to support JBake configuration and the additional things
we're doing in the custom build process?!

If someone has a proposal for a JS (or other) SSG that can do the full
job of what we have now in a standard way then I think it's strongly
worth considering.  But it needs to be a complete plan.  At my old
company I did take a brief look at Gatsby, but in the end mostly made
use of Jekyll due to the better (at the time) client-side CMS options
- or in other words, there are always other considerations in play!
:-)