El 18/07/2019 a las 9:03, Neil C Smith escribió:
On Thu, 18 Jul 2019, 02:19 Tim Boudreau, <niftin...@gmail.com> wrote:

Calling out to node from gradle/java/whatever as an external process to
generate some CSS from sass is pretty trivial and I don't see why it would
be an ordeal to integrate into the existing website build.

It's also trivial to call libsass directly via Gradle as the build already
does. Adding node adds complexity without improving anything (right now)

Definitely. libsass/sassc is one order of magnitude less complex than the nvm/node/npm combo (which then uses it anyway).

Java-based tooling for generating web-sites is not likely to pull ahead of
what's available for node ... ever, as long as Javascript is the primary
language web developers use.  So sooner or later, taking advantage of
what's out there is going to be necessary.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that point. But a replacement also
has to not fail at the first requirement.

Fully agree again. I think we all agree that a node/npm stack is the way to go. What's being said is that the change is big, the proposal seems to fall short, and that it seems people is not willing to help.

OTOH, we are preparing a big commit with all the platform tutorials [1] with about 10000 new files and 789119 additions. A huge addition. That's going to make the netbeans website quite big, so the less the complexity the better.

I am not sure if we want to add all this files to netbeans.apache.org or if we want to set-up a platform.netbeans.org website instead.

If we decide to go for a platform specific website then we could try out antora.org [2], for instance, which is node/npm based, seems to render asciidoc properly, supports multiple repositories and theming and seems to be flexible enough to fit our requirements.

Opinions regarding this? Any takers?

Thanks,
Antonio

[1]
https://github.com/vieiro/netbeans-website/commit/67020a6c2acce9c6a10e25ac7ed33a1e67f0863b

[2]
https://antora.org/

I expressed concerns over using a Java-based SSG at the time, although
there were good reasons for that choice. Yes, the Java options are likely
to be behind the Javascript options, for now at least. Neither does
Javascript dominate the SSG world in the same way.