On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 at 05:17, Laszlo Kishalmi <laszlo.kisha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You put tremendous effort in the new pipeline to work

Credit where credit is due, the bulk of that effort was Eric.  Now
thinking about it, one reason for the new build system is Maven
artefacts.  Which, include the NBMs as is as far as I know?  And will
need to have the same updates that we ship to the IDE.

So, Eric / anyone - could we generate a distribution catalog.xml that
uses Maven hosted nbms instead of the mirrors?  The catalog itself
could remain hosted on the VM where it is now.  What pros / cons?

> Let's listen for other ideas as well...

Yes, agreed!  Sorry, wasn't aiming to stop discussion, just pointing
out that splitting distribution UCs would involve more changes than
just adding it in - e.g the new build system and the RCP build harness
would probably need rethinking to support multiple sources.

One other infrastructure problem we have is that the catalog.xml links
are relative, which means every module downloaded goes through the
same redirects.  Works for odd module updates, but seems to get
refused with too many requests - try using the above mentioned RCP
harness download, or installing an entire cluster, and it will
probably fail.  One other thing that would be good to solve in this
discussion - ideally only the catalog itself needs to be done via
.htaccess.