I'm continuing on the mailing list a discussion that started here:

Next time, though, could you add incremental commits ...
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/1548#issuecomment-554833121

The Contributor Guidelines [1] state, "After submission (and certainly after someone starts reviewing the PR) you shouldn't touch the PR's history." That would mean no forced pushes. My reading of the guidelines is that an author can rebase and squash before submitting the pull request, and an author or committer can rebase and squash right before merging, but neither of those should be done while it's being reviewed. In fact, the section in the guidelines after that sentence shows how to merge changes in master incrementally with "git merge upstream/master".

In any case, I've been testing pull request #1548, and the forced pushes make it so that I have to start from scratch each time. I re-clone the pull request branch, re-download the entire repository, re-build all of NetBeans, and reconfigure its settings. If incremental commits were added, I could simply pull down the changes, including anything merged from master, run an incremental build, and test again in minutes.

Am I doing this wrong?

Thanks,
John

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Submitting+Pull+Request+on+Apache+NetBeans