Thanks Tim,
but unfortunately the problem we are having with moving to Maven is the one
I described in [1].

The solution we implemented is to create a Gradle plugin (because Gradle
offers higher flexibility and dependencies configuration than Maven) that
resolves the dependency tree from a declared list of dependencies in a
build.gradle script.
Then the plugin packages all artifact files in either:

   1. a single NB library wrapper module or
   2. a series of NB library wrapper modules whose inter-dependencies are
   exactly those of the dependency tree resolved by Gradle.

The solution #2 is not ideal because NetBeans is using non-transitive
dependencies: so in the client modules we would need to depend on all
library wrapper modules of the subtree of the needed library.
Have we used Maven we would end up with redundant libraries described in
[1].

We might share later on the Gradle plugin to help other developers facing
the same issue.
-Matteo

[1]  NetBeans app with Maven with 3rd party libs
<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/1377d9a39df8ac652d39c0d886ada3ce15bddb051517805363ea141b%40%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E>

--
Matteo Di Giovinazzo