An update:

If i run from Powershell in the Project directory:

*PS C:\Development\myproject> ./gradlew --configure-on-demand -x check
clean buildDownloading
https://services.gradle.org/distributions/gradle-4.6-all.zip
<https://services.gradle.org/distributions/gradle-4.6-all.zip>....*

it starts downloading the Wrapper, and ./.gradle/wrapper/dists gets
populated with gradle-4.6-all.zip as expected.

Regards
Jonathan