On 9/18/20 7:24 AM, Laszlo Kishalmi wrote:
One of the gray areas we have is the profiler support.

The NetBeans Profiler has been quite helpful in the past -- especially for heap usage. Lately, though, I find the Async Profiler [1] to be the best tool by far.

As an example of its utility, there was a problem with JDK 13 on 32-bit ARM that caused the performance of Java applications to be cut in half. Neither the NetBeans Profiler nor the Java Flight Recorder could pick up any differences between JDK 11 and 13.

The Async Profiler, on the other hand, showed the problem right away.

See the two charts under Ubuntu JDK 11 and Ubuntu JDK 13 below. You see immediately that the Java code (in green) is getting only half the CPU for JDK 13 compared to JDK 11.

https://jgneff.github.io/framebufferY8/2020-05/#ubuntu-jdk-11

It took just a few clicks on the interactive flame graph to find the bug and discover that it was already fixed in JDK 14.

Has anyone looked into adding the Async Profiler or the Java Flight Recorder to NetBeans, or even replacing the existing profiler with them? It looks as that's what IntelliJ IDEA has done. [2]

John

[1] https://github.com/jvm-profiling-tools/async-profiler
[2] https://www.jetbrains.com/help/idea/2020.2/cpu-profiler.html