From: Laszlo Kishalmi <laszlo.kisha...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2020 10:24 AM
To: Apache NetBeans <dev@netbeans.apache.org>
Subject: [DISCUSSION] Propose the removal of the Profiling support for 1.5 JVM-s

Dear all,

One of the gray areas we have is the profiler support. The build does not
really rebuild the source code with each release, just downloads some dusty
zips and populate it's content. If we would like to move forward from this
state, I think it's time to leave some rusty parts behind.

You might now that there was a specification difference on java instrumentation
between Java 1.5 and 1.6, that's why we have two sets of profiler packages.
Java 1.5 has reached EOL 11 years ago in October 2009. I think anyone who would
like to profile a Java 1.5 application today, the support of NetBeans 8.5 or
even NetBeans 12.0 LTS (though I doubt that it was tested in such a scenario)
would be good.

Brad Walker, NetBeans personal rust remover, has offered a help to get rid of
the 1.5 profiler support.

Does anyone has any objections?

--

   Laszlo Kishalmi