FWIW, Apache NetBeans has already released the VS Code extension in the past:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/netbeans-dev/202004.mbox/%3CCALd%3D3dHVyENu%2Bj5o9stvP9_o%2B6FquTdzG7Wx-s-G5-_RdVeaDw%40mail.gmail.com%3E

https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/netbeans/netbeans-vscode-ext/0.0.1/apache-netbeans-java-0.0.1.vsix

So releasing a much improved version of it again if/as needed does not seem too
difficult?

Jan