On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 7:54 PM Eric Bresie <ebre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So from an initial plan perspective I would assume part of the "table or
> work" would involve

I'd like to point out one thing: currently, the oldest JDK on which
NetBeans runs is JDK 8, but that does not mean it does not run on newer
JDKs. Quite the opposite - I use NetBeans on newer JDKs, and I think 12.2
is supposed to run on JDK 15, 11 and 8, at very least (but probably on
every version between 8 and 15, inclusive). I'd say we add support for
running on up-to-date JDKs as they are released, so we are tracking the
changes, as we can.

Dropping support for JDKs (like e.g. support for JDK 8) is a different
matter - I guess I'd say that depends on when our users will be OK with
that move.

For completeness, the set of JDKs for which the users can develop
applications is different, and hopefully broader - e.g. we should (I hope!)
support developing JDK 7 applications.

Jan