Very true. Maintaining an ANTLR grammar over the years is difficult and time consuming (see for instance all the changes to the NetBeans C++ grammar in NetBeans [1]).

LSP servers, when mantained by knowledgeable teams, may give better results with less effort. Apple, for instance, decided to move to clangd (from libclang) a few years back ([2]).

For simpler languages/DSLs I think Eclipse's XText https://www.eclipse.org/Xtext/ outperforms JetBrain's MPS https://www.jetbrains.com/mps/ (the generated parsers could then be reused in NetBeans).

Cheers,
Antonio

[1]