On 7/12/2021 2:58 AM, Jeremy Cavanagh wrote:
So what you're saying is there are liars involved in the project?

No. I said

   we could have a philosophical discussion on where
   spin/misdirection/omission/forgetting becomes a lie

My point was that NetBeans is too big for its current, all volunteer, team; and, at least to me, it doesn't feel like that's acknowledged and accounted/planned for. There was a recent suggestion that newbie work should have 3 committers mentor the work from start to finish; sounds good, and I think that would reduce the number of outstanding PRs since there would be far fewer.

Seems like no one agreed with (or perhaps didn't understand (probably I was unclear)) what I was saying; the other comment seemed to think I was asking for something to be worked on. (and I just don't learn to not comment... I have reined it in considerably)

-ernie

Anyway I'd rather have a naive and wholesome view of the project. I fully appreciate that in the past there was money behind the project and now there isn't, but, if people just give up on it what an incredible waste.

As for maintenance I'm personally going through the old code working on reformatting and tidying things up, updating the code (starting with Platform) using the IDE itself to guide me.

Now, I'm doing this for personal reasons. There are things I would like to look at improving but I can't and never have been able to understand the totally illogical and random formatting used in Java. I've come from a structured programming era and don't know why Java went in the direction they did. After all, it is just a block structured language with some fancy bits attached.

So far I've been at it for nearly a month and a half several hours a day (done 53 of 89 packages). I don't know how much longer I'll be but I feel it is worth doing, and given that I'm over retirement age it's good for my brain.

After finishing with platform, I hope to then do ide and Java. Maybe then I'll have unearthed the parts I'm looking for. After that comes the big problem of testing everything. As I complete each of these clusters I'll stick them on GitHub and then people can comment, advise on how to proceed.

Well I expect you're all bored by now.

Kindest regards to all those working and contributing to this great project.

Jeremy Cavanagh