haven't heard of tree splitter before but it doesn't look like it has a java API.
https://tree-sitter.github.io/tree-sitter/#language-bindings

which would mean its unlikely that it is used by a plugin.

-mbien

On 20.11.21 02:08, Ernie Rael wrote:

Is there, or has there been, any work on using TreeSitter from a plugin?

-ernie

Written by: fcurts

As someone who has spent months writing and maintaining TextMate and tree-sitter grammars for real-world languages, let me tell you that the TextMate grammar system is totally broken, at least from a 2021 perspective. TextMate grammars are a nightmare to maintain and /impossible/ to get right. Out of desperation, I even developed my own macro system (just like the authors of TypeScript's TextMate grammar), and it was still a nightmare.

tree-sitter is in a completely different league. It's a top-notch incremental parser that can be used for accurate (!) syntax highlighting, code folding, code formatting, etc. tree-sitter grammars are dramatically easier to write and maintain, and it's actually possible to get them right. GitHub has been using tree-sitter for a while, and VSCode is also starting to use it (see https://github.com/microsoft/vscode-anycode).

Betting on TextMate grammars in 2021 would be an engineering crime.