On Tue, 14 Jun 2022 at 19:28, Ernie Rael <err...@raelity.com> wrote:
> I built nb based on current delivery branch for local use (I see that
> release140 is now available). I'd like to know what difference there is
> from this to what is released.

The delivery branch is transitory and soon to be deleted!  You cannot
build the release from it - you need to use the release140 branch.
Release info is based on branch and git hash.  The git hash of the
release does not even exist in the delivery branch.  Without it, you
get the default dev meta info.

On Tue, 14 Jun 2022 at 20:28, John Neffenger <j...@status6.com> wrote:
> $ diff -qr ./ ~/opt/netbeans-14-rc6-src/
> It makes me nervous that we're shipping a release of NetBeans that is
> built from source code with no relation to a branch or release tag on
> GitHub. We're losing the cryptographic guarantee on the source code
> provided by the Git commit hashes.

Tags are purely a convenience, after the fact (as just written in
another thread).  The release is linked to branch and git hash via -
https://github.com/apache/netbeans-jenkins-lib/blob/master/meta/netbeansrelease.json#L732

The primary difference between the source bundle and a git checkout is
the lack of .git.  So, the source bundle pre-caches the git hash (also
used for module impl versions) and metadata info necessary for the
build, and we then sign that bundle so it cannot be altered or changes
to netbeansrelease.json break builds.

A few files are filtered out and/or altered.  There are some reasons -
more so during the initial ASF transition.

I can think of at least one person who checks the diff between source
bundle and git repository when voting - that could be made more
explicit in the voting instructions perhaps?

Having metadata in a separate repository has its pros and cons, but it
replaces a bunch of complications in managing our current release
process.