Supporting `ecj` in NetBeans makes no/little sense. Let's have a discussion to
agree on that.

Few times in the past (most recently at
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/
pull/4682#issuecomment-1257208904) there was a note suggesting to support
`ecj`. Usually such suggestion appears whenever I propose to use http://
frgaal.org retrofit compiler.

Using `ecj` makes no sense - the biggest strength of NetBeans is its WYSIWYG
nature - errors in the editor are exactly the same as errors one gets on
command line when executing `mvn` or `gradlew`. That's because NetBeans relies
on the family of Javac compilers - be it `javac` from the latest JDK or our
own  `nb-javac` port.

`ecj` is completely different compiler. It has own bugs, own view of Java
source code and it can never achieve the same WYSIWYG experience as `javac` in
NetBeans provides. Supporting `ecj` seems like a step backwards. I am not
going to stop anyone working on `ecj` support, but I believe the NetBeans
project will have better prospects when it adheres to the family of Javac
compilers.

As an author of https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/
Overview%3A+nb-javac plan, I believe there is no use of `ecj` in NetBeans.
-jt

PS: Yes, Frgaal does belong into the Javac family. It is a slightly modified
version of the `javac` from the latest JDK that removes the (artificial)
limitation that prevents `target < source`.