De : Neil C Smith <neilcsm...@apache.org>
Envoyé : jeudi 29 septembre 2022 13:02
À : dev@netbeans.apache.org
Objet : Re: [DISCUSS] Supporting ecj in NetBeans

On Thu, 29 Sept 2022 at 03:51, Laszlo Kishalmi <laszlo.kisha...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Michael sums it up well. I agree completely.

Yes, as always, pretty spot on!

> frgaal: compiler candy without new API, is just like alcohol-free beer.

:-)  Yes.  Very much seems like a solution looking for a problem to me.

I'm not sure that comment was much in favour of ecj support as against pushing
frgaal as a good option for anything but very niche cases.
It's rare a PR gets -1, let only multiple, so I don't think it's fair to call
those opinions short-sighted.  There are some good points raised in the PR
description, but no mention of frgaal there.  A better discussion would be on
those points than ecj support.

Personally I think promoting the latest java(c) features is better done by
ensuring the IDE supports the latest JDK as best we can; as Eric suggested,
enhancing the templates to take more account of running / target platform (eg.
choose platform as first step?); and (from a somewhat biased position)
promoting installers that run NetBeans on a local, latest supported, JDK out of
the box.