On Mon, Feb 20, 2023 at 3:28 PM Eric Bresie <ebre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Isn’t the whole reason for signed plugins to ensure they are provided by a
> trusted source and not tampered with by bad actors?  If no signing, does
> that add a risk of possible tainted plugins with malicious intent?
>
> Eric

That should be the case. Of course that also means that self-signed plugins
shouldn't be accepted either.

Jiří Kovalský: wrote:
> > It says nothing about not signed plugins but we came to the conclusion
> > that if self-signed plugins are explicitly tolerated then not-signed one
> > should not.

Which seems backwards to me.  If you allow self-signed, which is
effectively useless for verifying anything, then you should allow
not signed as it has the same security.

If certificate authorities weren't overcharging so much for a signing
certificate it wouldn't be an issue for Open Source developers that are
essentially working for free - who can afford to maintain a signing
certificate for free work?
Perhaps NetBeans/Apache should create certificates for plugin developers or
offer a signing service?

Scott