Hi,

Of course you may fork that source code either totally or partially and modify and enhance it as you see fit. That's what open source is all about. You may then create a NetBeans plugin and request for it to be published in the NetBeans portal, for instance.

Things you should keep in mind:

1- You must respect the source code license (i.e., you cannot change the GPLv2+CPE/CDDL license to Apache License, for instance, unless the original authors, whoever they are, give you permission to do so).

2- You must keep the copyright notices (you should add yours to your modifications too).

Since the code is GPLv2+CPE or CDDL, it cannot be used in Apache projects (i.e., it cannot be integrated in an Apache repository), but can live as a NetBeans plugin(s) elsewhere.

HTH,
Antonio