I can try to categorize the files a little, but I was hoping we could
switch to using Rat to do the checks (after the bulk of the changes are
done). So if e.g. the META-INF files would be OK to not have a header, we
could simply exclude them in the Rat configuration, and they would be
ignored (but the configuration is/will be in git, so easy to review).

As a side note, some files in the repository (typically samples) are using
3-clause (if I get that correctly) BSD license currently, e.g.:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-netbeans.git;a=blob;f=apisupport.feedreader/feedreader-suite/FeedReader/src/org/netbeans/feedreader/BrowserTopComponent.java;h=6d0a0c533a9dfa9ed81d3f4349e352d1fb49b128;hb=HEAD

My question is what (if anything) we need to do about these.

Thanks,
    Jan