Hi,

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 8:46 AM, Ryan Cuprak <rcup...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... 1. Construct a list of individuals that have special knowledge for the
> different modules (basically a goto list for deep questions)....

In an Apache project, asking questions to specific people (I assume
you mean off-list) is frowned upon, as the goal is to build a
community with a low bus factor, as well as cross-pollinate knowledge.
Experts should emerge naturally based on focused discussions.

The recommended way to handle this is to define a set of [tags] that
can be used in the subject lines of messages sent to this list. People
can then, visually or using their mail clients, filter on such tags to
pay special attention to a set of topics.

The set of [tags] can also emerge naturally as people start using
those, in general there's no need for a big upfront effort in defining
them. Maybe just maintain a website page which lists the recommended
one, based on which ones emerge.

The OpenStack dev list [1] is a great example of that - a single list
for many topics, with multiple [tags] as needed, and I suppose not
using those [tags] there means nobody reads your message, which
creates a virtuous cycle.

-Bertrand (with my incubation mentor hat on)

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-June/thread.html