I have notes from Jan Lahoda for producing a release candidate:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+Release+README

See the steps in 'Producing a Release Candidate' above, these are all
his notes, very practical and step by step.

I'm hoping he'll produce the 9.0 Beta rc2 release candidate -- and
after that, i.e., for subsequent releases, others (e.g., me or anyone
else) should take over the task of putting the release candidate
together, so that multiple people have experience doing this and so
that we're not dependent on one person having the relevant knowledge
for this task.

Thanks,

Gj