> On Mar 19, 2018, at 10:25 AM, John Kostaras <jkosta...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> *"This is the bit I don't understand.  Why would you want to do that?
> In every Swing component I can think of you wouldn't render an entire
> large data set in the view in one go or it would grind to a halt - you'd
> render a subset/summary/coalesced view of the model surely?  The point of
> this approach, at least as I understand it, is to still do all the data
> set interaction, filtering and calculation on the JVM."*
>
> This is why we need components that retrieve only the data that need to be
> rendered in their window and be smart enough to retrieve/cache the data the
> user will request next. Like others here, our application needs to render a
> lot of data in an OutlineView (or JTable) and be responsive when the user
> moves this scrollbar. Not only, these data are updated constantly and we
> had bugs in the past with all these listeners. Not to mention, that with
> many data that change all the time, it can become unresponsive.
>
> Eclipse provides this Nattable <https://www.eclipse.org/nattable/>, I don't
> know how good it is, but it advertises itself as a high performance SWT
> data grid. Personally, I 'd love to have this ported in NetBeans. If this
> could be achieved with HTML4Java is fine with me too.
>
> Regard,
>
> John.

Has HTML got a way to do anything remotely like a JTable yet?  When I last
checked (two weeks ago) there was still no reasonable HTML way to do a table
with headers that stayed in place while the data scrolled.  I found a few
attempts at hacking it, but nothing good.  Am I just looking in the wrong
places?

Add in the other functionality of Swing’s JTable or JavaFX’ TableView like
showing/hiding columns, re-ordering columns, sorting, etc… (never mind not
needing *all* the data to be present as <tr> elements)  and you can see how I
find that HTML is far behind in terms of basic UI abilities.  I admit - I just
don’t get why anyone would choose to use HTML for UI outside of a web app.

Scott