One quick datapoint.
I have used NetBeans 8.1 on my Mac of at least a year, maybe 2.   Upon
investigation 2.49 GB of the 2.63 GB that were in my cache were located in
maven indexes/central/.    I have only use one library in Maven Central (others
are in a local repository).   I was unaware that adding that small project
(less than 10 classes) was causing maven to chew up almost 2.5 GB of HDD space.