On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 at 20:10, Geertjan Wielenga
<geertjan.wiele...@googlemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> That makes sense. Anyone should be able to host it, though it doesn't sound
> like that would be Apache, and it would be best to be as independent as
> possible from Oracle, hence better some other external place -- though
> would that have to comply with Apache branding rules?

Exactly my point!  And why I find the policy questionable.  Why do you
think independent from Oracle is best though?  The historic stuff
still belongs to Oracle.

Personally, I think the best option is the donating party, the next
best is via Apache, and if that's not a possibility then perhaps
there's a third-party that can be agreed between the two?  Isn't it
better for projects (and branding) that there's an agreed definitive
place where old sources and binaries are archived in perpetuity,
rather than pointing to random personal GitHub repos?

Surely there's got to be some precedent here?!

Best wishes,

Neil