On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 2:59 PM Geertjan Wielenga
<geertjan.wiele...@googlemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> No, it doesn't mean anything at all -- except that what we're trying to do
> here is figure out the best way to solve this particular scenario.
>
> We're discussing here, you're welcome to join in. Where should the binaries
> be hosted, in your opinion? That would help, if you have an opinion on
> this, and then we can discuss that approach with Oracle and with Apache.

Well, first, it's simply unclear to me the status of the artifacts on nb.org.
The source code are OSS artifacts, but what are the binaries? Can "anyone"
distribute those binary artifacts? Or just Oracle?

As I understand it, Apache is getting the domain as well as the web pages
and tutorials from nb.org, yes?

But Apache is not getting the binary artifacts, and, even were it able to,
is not able to distribute them anyway (for unimportant reasons, I'm not
questioning those, simply trying to work within the framework).

So, what it's the definition of distribution? Hosted on Apache
infrastructure? If you have a web page on Apache infrastructure with one
pointing to http://xxx.apache.org/stuff/Netbeans9.zip and the other
pointing to http://some.place.else.xyz/legacy/Netbeans8.2.zip, is that
consider distribution from an Apache POV? Even if the links look identical
the fact they source from different infrastructure makes it "ok"? Or does
there need to be a link to some.place.else.xyz where they have their own
web pages discussing downloading and distributing those artifacts?

Has Oracle made any mention of what they intend to do with the old
artifacts (including the HG repo and binary artifacts) after nb.org is
handed over?

The HG repo is potentially important, as what's been mentioned  before
regarding versioning and such (notably of the platform) has been "if you
can't keep up, use the older version". But it's not clear to me whether
after the nb.org is handed over, ANY older versions will exist. Maybe as
tags in the git repo? But can those be distributed from Apache git servers
(as none of it is ASLd)?

Those are the questions I have.

Regards,

Will Hartung