Hello,

I believe it would be useful to read the Apache Trademark Policy
https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/ considering the discussions
we are starting to have with installers.

This paragraph seems relevant
https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/#products :

The paragraph links to https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#products :

> May I use Apache marks (names, logos) in software product names?
>
> No, Apache trademarks - the names of any project or software product releases
> from the ASF- may not be used in the primary or secondary branding of any
> third party product or service names. For example, it is not permitted to
> name a product either "BigCo Project Thing", "BigCo distribution of Project",
> or any similar kind of name where Project is any Apache mark or project name.
>
> The primary mission of the ASF is to provide free software for the public
> good under our Apache License. Consumer confusion over the source of Apache
> software products is a serious issue for the ASF. Both for consumers trying
> to find Apache products, and for the communities and PMCs that build our
> products, the name and logo association of Apache marks with our actual
> project communities and products is important to us.
>
> We understand the importance in our ecosystem of third parties building
> software products atop Apache products or in conjunction with them. If you
> build such software products, please see the next question about our "Powered
> by..." program.

So we should be proactive about our trademark.

We could also get started on a 'Powered by Apache NetBeans' program
although this doesn't seem urgent to me. I believe 'Powered by Apache
NetBeans Platform' might have a point, but the IDE itself isn't really
something often extended in it's entirety.

--emi

http://coolbeans.xyz/ - CoolBeans: An IDE for Java, JavaEE, PHP and more!