*From:* Geertjan Wielenga <geertjan.wiele...@googlemail.com.INVALID>
*Sent:* Friday, April 05, 2019 8:31PM
*To:* Dev <dev@netbeans.incubator.apache.org>
*Subject:* Re: plugins.netbeans.org / netbeans.org

Here's the rough proposal:

1. Move all the plugins to Maven Central. Blockers: we don't know how to do
that, if someone can advise, that will help.

2. Refactor the plugins.netbeans.org application so that (1) NBM files
cannot be uploaded anymore and (2) instead of uploading, references need to
be registered to the location of the NBM on Maven Central. Blockers: this
is being investigated at the moment, timelines not known yet. This is
doable because the plugins.netbeans.org application has been donated to
Apache as part of the 3rd donation.

3. Deploy the plugins.netbeans.org application from the Apache NetBeans VM.
There should be no problem with that since we'll not be distributing the
NBMs from Apache (which would have been a problem since Apache distributes
source code only) but only pages or references to Maven Central.

4. Enable the Plugin Manager inside Apache NetBeans to install NBM files
directly from Maven Central, based on the references retrieved via the
Update Center from the plugins.netbeans.org application running on the
Apache NetBeans VM.

5. Continue using the plugins.netbeans.org URL, except that this will now
be running at Apache and pointing to the plugins.netbeans.org application
running on the Apache NetBeans VM.

So, the above would mean that nothing is running on Oracle servers anymore,
all NBMs that we care about are on Maven Central (and source code could
mostly be on GitHub, except where plugin owners don't want their source
code exposed, in which case they'd have it in their local proprietary
backends), and we have the plugins.netbeans.org application refactored and
simply showing Maven co-ordinated to the plugins on Maven Central.

How does that sound?

Gj