Have noticed for some time that nb9, nb10, nb11 consider each version the
same when trying to run  one instance of nb9, nb10, or nb11 at same time.

In other words.
when running nb9 cannot run nb10 or nb11
when running nb10 cannot run nb9 or nb11
when running nb11 cannot run nb9 or nb10;

For all prior versions of netbeans from nb4.1 to nb8.2 can run different
versions of netbeans at same time - and I have done so many times for
various reasons.

Wondering where the source code that causes this behavior is located ?

I can run nb82 and nb9 or nb10 or nb11 at same time.

Thanks
-Gary