On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 at 06:58, Antonio <anto...@vieiro.net> wrote:
> We could define an "IconProvider" service interface API, responsible for
> finding icons by name.

Exactly!  Been saying this for a long time.  And also linked this
before, and in conversations with Emi and others on Twitter, but it's
worth a look at the xdg spec, and in particular the use of hyphens to
have more/less specific icon resolution.

https://developer.gnome.org/icon-naming-spec/

I think we could use that as a useful starting point, given the amount
of work that's gone into it, or even move to adopt it and benefit from
lots of pre-existing icon themes?!

Obviously we'd need to fallback to existing files for now.

> So we end up with a set of pluggable "IconProvider"'s that people can
> extend to replace existing icons gradually, and modules won't have to be
> modified/refactored.

I also put forward a suggestion for this, and for pluggable text
providers, last year but it didn't much of a good response and at
least one -1.

I would definitely get involved with this effort, as it's very high on
my list of annoyances with the platform at the moment.  It should be
possible to plug in and override all areas of branding to allow
different resolution strategies.

Best wishes,

Neil