Hi,

> I want to mention here the repo of IntelliJ the community edition. They do it
> as a package inside of the platform called Icons:
> https://github.com/JetBrains/intellij-community/tree/master/platform/icons as
> you can see, everything (I don’t know whether it is 100% or less but most of
> the Icons are inside of this package in subpackages. This is somehow
> centralized and not packed with each module and we don’t need find any Icon
> out. And as far as I can see, they use SVG Icons.

some more input:

The Eclipse platform (aka core) project has a single Git repository [1]
but group the icons therein by plugin. Also, each plugin ships its own
icons, aside from a few very generic icons like "Close", "Expand", etc,
which are present in the org.eclipse.ui and org.eclipse.jface plugins.

They then use a Maven plug-in [2] (internally using Batik, I believe) to
render the SVGs as PNGs in both low and high DPI versions. The plug-in
also has the option to apply different CSS stylesheets to the SVGs, to
switch between dark and light mode icons, but I haven't used that
feature yet.

While the naming conventions used for generated files (e.g., "@2x"
suffix) currently are probably Eclipse specific, the plug-in might be a
good basis for NetBeans icon pipeline as well.

Hope this helps,

Andreas

[1]
<https://git.eclipse.org/c/platform/eclipse.platform.images.git/tree/org.eclipse.images/eclipse-svg>