Github user trkurc commented on the pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/136#issuecomment-161325906

    So, some evidence that this was intentional.

    1) it is *harder* to handle the single record case without arrays.
@markap14 appears to have contributed this as part of NIFI-855 (even though
@joemeszaros added the comments and was the last to touch these lines of code)
    2) the processor description clearly states it has different behavior with
multiple records
    3) It makes sense to me that if you were administering a flow that only
ever had a single avro record per flow file, you would NOT want it inside an
array

    I believe 3 is a valid use case, and this change may break flows. I highly
recommend adding a flag to preserve this behavior. I explained more in jira
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-1234)

---
with INFRA.
---