Sounds good to me. #1 does address the immediate problem as you mentioned.

Since the util package has a lot of stuff in it, my preference would be to
have a syslog package under util, or even at the same level as util. If we
did that, would moving SyslogParser and SyslogEvent to that package be
considered a breaking change?
Seems "less breaking" than moving a processor to a new package which could
break someone's flow, but still possible someone is using one of those
classes since they are public.
I can move the other stuff and leave those two alone, but just wanted to
double-check.

-Bryan