I guess my only objection is, do we really need Option 2?  If all you want
to do is provide a name, fine.  But, if you want to change the name (for
better communicating the purpose to the user, be that in English, French,
or Esperanto) option 3 provides the mechanism for that.  It's not as easy
for the developer as option 2, but it has the benefit of starting the
process of creating resource bundles for different languages (and
potentially deprecating a semi-confusing option).  This means that someone
wanting to add support for a different language (e.g. french) has a lower
barrier to entry, in that they can just find the "displayNames.properties"
file, and put a "displayNames_fr_FR.properties next to it.  Ultimately its
a trade off of conveniences... the developer wanting to change a property
name vs. a potential contributor wanting to improve language support.  I
guess I would argue that this shouldn't be that hard for a developer to
figure out, and lean in favor of encouraging language contributions.

Ultimately, it isn't' that strong an objection though, and it does sound
like this is heading in the right direction...

Brandon