That probably makes sense. You may not even need back-pressure at all
between ListenSyslog -> Control Rate, this way the data will just queue up
there.
I guess it depends how fast your syslog data is coming in and how long you
think spark will be down.

NiFi will swap out flow files to disk when the queue gets very large and
should be able to hold a significant number of flow files in a queue
(millions).

The swapping is controlled by the following properties in nifi.properties:

nifi.queue.swap.threshold=20000
nifi.swap.in.period=5 sec
nifi.swap.in.threads=1
nifi.swap.out.period=5 sec