If you guys would please entertain one more question:

Unfortunately the site is currently limited to Nifi 1.2, and this
effectively renders the custom properties file useless as it relates to the
PutHDFS kerberos principal/keytab. I was thinking about this as I exported
the template in order to put into source control.

Is there any reason that I couldn't modify the xml template to replace these
values before uploading the template into the new environment?

<entry>
    <key>Kerberos Principal</key>
    <value>d...@mydomain.com</value>
</entry>

<entry>
    <key>Kerberos Keytab</key>
    <value>/my/path/to/keytabs/dev.keytab</value>
</entry>

Similarly, when it comes to the remote process group, is there any reason
that I can't just modify these uris before uploading the template to the new
environment?

<targetUri>https://dev001.mydomain.com:1234/nifi</targetUri>
<targetUris>https://dev001.mydomain.com:1234/nifi,https://dev002.mydomain.com:1234/nifi</targetUris>

It would be quite simple to write a script that does a simple substitution
on these values. But is there any reason that that wouldn't work? I imagine
I'm hardly the first to think about editing the template xml itself...