Hi Clay,

A common use case for NiFi and Kafka in conjunction is when you want the
capabilities of a message broker system like Kafka with very low latency and
multiple publishers/consumers, but you also have the need for some of the
features NiFi provides like backpressure, as you mentioned. This is frequently
found in industrial control systems or hardware/IoT integration (sometimes
interfacing with MQTT).

In the scenario you call out in 1), yes, NiFi can be a complete solution for
record transformation and writing to HDFS.

I am not a Storm expert, but you correctly identify NiFi as a good “deliverer”
of data to stream processing applications.

I also won’t address microbatching, but I’m confident some other community
members will have good input on the topic.

I’ve included a couple resources you may find helpful, and I would suggest you
might also get good results sending this email to the us...@nifi.apache.org
on the internals of NiFi, extensibility, and feature development. The users
list has many contributors who deploy NiFi in real world scenarios and
integrate with other systems that may not monitor this list.

Good luck.

https://bryanbende.com/development/2016/09/15/apache-nifi-and-apache-kafka
<https://bryanbende.com/development/2016/09/15/apache-nifi-and-apache-kafka>
https://hortonworks.com/webinar/apache-kafka-apache-nifi-better-together/