Got it, I've been trying to read some of this on my phone and missed something.
Currently it looks like the NiFi Client JerseyNiFiClient.java was setup to
support token(JWT) based requests but from what I can tell those methods are
never called anywhere. NiFi Registry Client only implemented the implicit
security and proxied entity methods.

It looks like I should be able to lookup the auth token and add it to the
Jersey WebTarget Headers in the two clients so it would be there on every
request. I'll have to do some testing but that might not require too many
changes. In theory it could also support username/password auth as well doing
it the same way.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/29056051/adding-authorization-header-to-jersey-sse-client-request

Thanks
Shawn