Given the discussion my sense is that clean option 1 is not really
realistic.  We're probably looking more likely at option 2 and just
have a far less frequent release cycle for them and thus lower
overhead.  My biggest gripe is the constant workarounds we have in all
these poms to wrangle dependencies and include/exclude simply because
those projects do not maintain them nearly with the speed/focus that
we do.

Thanks